Flaxby Park, New Settlement
Flaxby, North Yorkshire
Off the back of our extensive experience in the residential sector for both private and developer clients, Wildblood Macdonald were approached to develop the designs for a new settlement at Flaxby on the outskirts of Harrogate, North Yorkshire.
On behalf of Flaxby Park Limited, Wildblood Macdonald created the outline masterplan proposal for approximately 2750 homes on the former golf course between the village of Flaxby and the A1(M). The vision for the development is to create an exemplary well-designed, self-sustaining community for the Harrogate District set within a high quality landscaped setting. It will follow key ‘garden village’ principles, bringing the best of town and country to the site.
This will include:
- A range and choice of high quality homes (approximately 2750) including:
· Higher value ‘executive’ homes
· Innovative self-build zones governed by a high quality Design Code
· Family homes (mainly 3,4 and 5 bedroom, detached and semi-detached). These will be developed across multiple outlets to ensure first time buyers enjoy the benefits of home ownership.
· Smaller and affordable homes (to rent and buy) including starter homes.
· Homes for the elderly providing a range of lifestyle support in a dedicated retirement village
- A central ‘hub’ including shops, community facilities/buildings, cafes, bars, restaurants, medical and leisure facilities.
- Employment opportunities – B1 Office and service provision
- Education zone providing a new school to help meet the education needs of the community
- The creation of an exemplar environmental setting, including public realm, parklands, recreation and leisure facilities, footpath and cycle ways, retention of trees/woodland and water features
- High quality access proposals to and from the A59, utilising the recently constructed roundabout and new/improved junction further west at York Road
- An integrated public transport strategy to connect the Flaxby park new settlement with its surroundings. The feasibility of incorporating bus based Park and Ride and/or dedicated rail halt
- Improvements to highway infrastructure along the A59 corridor and the A1 (M) interchange.